Strawberries and Cream
The desert of dreams
If the strawberries are sour
You favourite desert how will you devour?
Especially if added sugar is a no
Keeping yourself away from deserts is life’s biggest woe
But thanks to the manna from heaven
Your life can be sweetened
Substituting sugar for Sugar free
And not missing out on anything sweet is the best won’t you agree?
Poem © Vyomi Malik
Come winter and it’s time for one of the most colourful and well-loved fruits to hit the market- strawberries. From roadside vendors to supermarkets, everyplace seem to be flooded with this beautiful fruit. For some people strawberries are their favourite fruits which they wait the entire year for. If they are sweet, devouring them is sheer delight.
One of my most loved desserts which can be made in a jiffy by anyone (really- even if you’ve never cooked anything in your life and hate anything to do with) is strawberries and cream in a jar. Some of us love our sugar and can’t do without it so if the strawberries turn out to be sour it could be a big dampener if you wanted to enjoy this dessert. If you’re one of those people who have to forgo sugar for various reasons and yet want to enjoy everything sweet then the best way is to substitute the sugar in your dessert to sugar free natura and keep on flattering your taste buds the sugar-free way.
Here is my all-time favourite dessert straight from the cookbook of “Pooja Dhingra- the big book of treats” strawberries and cream in a jar where for sweetened cream/sugar I use sugar free as my sweet substitute.
You’ll need around 150 grams of fresh strawberries and 150 grams of whipped cream along with the saviour for those people who cannot have sugar and still want to indulge their sweet buds- Sugar free. It’s best to use a transparent jar or bowl for this desert and half of the fun of this sweet splendour is the way it looks
· After rinsing the strawberries, cut of the tops and then cut each of the red/pink delights in half
· You can use local fresh cream or any of the unsweetened tetra pack varieties you find at your local grocers
· Now make sure you add sugar free to the cream while you are whipping it for the oh so sweet surprise
· Then layer a few strawberries at the bottom of the jar and then spread some whipped cream sweetened with sugar free on top
· Keep on repeating this till all the strawberries and whipped cream are used up
· Let this sweet visual treat set in the fridge for two hours and then serve
This is so simple that every man in the house who doesn’t want to move a finger can whip up a great dessert in no time to impress and pamper the women in his life he loves. So go on, indulge yourself in sweetness the sugar free way.